Friday, August 15, 2008

July recap


I snapped this pic on a street wandering in venice beach.

I feel I sorta ended up doing a poor job recapping my July on here. Really, it was just so FULL. Briefly, from where I left off...

July 12: Big Light and Surprise Me Mr. Davis @ cafe du nord. got there for the last song of Big Light cuz I had popped in at the independent for a little New Mastersounds, but the Big Light song I heard was really cute. It was Gillian Welch's "Wrecking Ball", which they learned I guess earlier that day, cuz they were in Santa Cruz, which is referenced in the song.

The SMMD portion of the show was ridic, per UJ. Can't say enough great things about their shows, and songs. Seriously. When their new album comes out, you will not be able to get me to shut up about them. Hey...smoke 'em if you got 'em...

July 13: Big Light and Surprise Me Mr. Davis...AGAIN!!! This was your quintessential hippie Sunday afternoon party. So awesome. Seriously.

July 16: The Police @ Concord Pavilion...missed Elvis Costello (I know, shame on me) but had to get my bearings. This show LARGELY exceeded my expectations in a big way. It was AWESOME. I was so pleasantly surprised!!! Had heard the 07 shows weren't that great, so figured this wouldn't be either. But it was!!! Had the pleasure of making Mr. Copeland's acquaintance and he was really, really groovy. Great human, great drummer.

July 18: Big Light and The Mother Hips in Redwood City...FUN. Really cool room, the Little Fox. Big Light sounded great, and I sound like a broken record but I don't care, The Mother Hips are A M A Z I N G.

July 19: Download Festival @ Shoreline Amphitheater~ saw lots of new music that I enjoyed: The Whigs, Cut Copy (whom I had remembered from Coachella), Mute Math...those were the stand outs for me. Each of whom were REALLY great.

July 21: N*E*R*D @ the Fillmore...my friend Matt Iarrobino was doing lights for them, and WOW! He was really good at it!!! I hadn't really clued into the music before the show, so didn't know what to expect, and was very stoked I was there. The crowd was PUMPED!!! On a Monday night!!! Great show.

July 31: Chuck Gonzalez & Stereo Glitter opened for Big Light @ 12 Galaxies~ per UJ, yeah, Big Light AGAIN. Whatever, they are our local band and I LOVE their songs.

And thank Goddess, that wraps up July. Don't make me pick a fave*

No comments: