Saturday, March 15, 2008

"millenials"

these are the "kids" i'm referring to. this post was taken from: here

"March 13, 2008

millenials

This afternoon I sat on a panel of 5 “millenials” in front of a large group of HBO executives at the Time Warner Center. Millenials are classified as anyone born between 1980-2000. We are typically tech-savvy, early-adopting multi-taskers. The panel was part of a 3 day Leadership Conference for HBO Vice Presidents, and was a chance for them to pick our brains in an attempt to get a better idea of how HBO can market and deliver media content to our generation. I was a bit nervous before hand because the other members of the panel had all done this before. But, it ended up being so much fun! It was all fairly casual, and the moderator did a great job of letting us all speak.

They asked questions like: how do you typically consume media? do you ever watch television in real time? what technologies do you own? what is your online presence (I enjoyed that one)? how can we engage your age group in the workplace, in a way that really speaks to you? Things like that.

Basically, without trying to make it an “us/them” situation, they needed to truly grasp the fact that we want TV, but we don’t just want to watch it on our television. For us to get behind a show, we need to be able to interact with it on many levels across various platforms, so we feel a part of it. As far as the workplace goes, we have to know that our time spent in the office, any office, is worth it. Why should I be HERE instead of somewhere else? I think it was hard for them to see that I am fully capable of being productive writing an email, while on the phone and refreshing my tumblr. I explained that for me, personally, to reach my potential, but mind needs to be engaged on many levels, and that means consuming media in multiple forms at once. The fact is that I get bored easily, so if I can have 3 things going at the same time, I feel much more energetic than if I’m handling one thing at a time. That’s old school, yo! I could go on and on, but it really was very interesting and I think everyone got a lot out of it, including me."

No comments: